Saturday, October 10, 2009

So Many Emails Are Nice But Not Necessary

For the first time in months, I just got through all my e-mails. This has been a focused attack this week. I dread starting the effort, but I am glad it's over. There were a few gems in the e-mails, but for the most part it was a quick hit of the delete button.

Several business units report directly into me. They are diverse from our international publishing operations to domestic children's publishing to our digital efforts. I often deal with the issues that really need my attention, which might be 5% of the e-mails I get.

The vast majority of e-mails I can't even get to on a prompt basis of a few days. I guess if I did not want to be involved in my family's life I could, but it turns out that so many of the emails were just "nice-to-be-copied-on".

I have not been commenting on e-mails that ask the multitudes for an answer, even when it's a business unit that reports to me. My thought being that enough others will chime in intelligently. Unless I have something AMAZINGLY important to say, I stay silent. The only problem is that I still get copied on just about every one's response.

I don't have the solution. Our CEO, Mike Hyatt, has had some interesting blogs on the subject, including declaring e-mail bankruptcy.

Well five more e-mails just came in on a Saturday afternoon as I wrote this short blog. They will just have to wait a few weeks. I am going to play baseball with my boy.